2/24/12

Ride In 2/24: Pista Resistance

It just started raining, maybe two minutes ago. We were promised this rain, along with high winds, but we were also promised a 75 degree day. The rain has materialized, but I'm skeptical about the temperature. Someone get me an amphibian and tell me if it feels 75 degrees. Or a thermometer, if you're skeptical of cold-blooded animals. In fact, when I was riding in, I felt downright cold. Perhaps this means that I'm an amphibian, I don't know. I thought it would be 50 or so and even though I had put on my yellow jacket after leaving #fridaycoffeeclub, it didn't seem like enough and I was more than a little uncomfortable.
I don't think the promise of a warm day lured out any more bike commuters than normal. Probably because of the equally, if not more valid, promise of the rain and 50 mph gusts. Not quite spring yet.
Same route as always, except after Penn, I went up 15th instead of taking E, as is my normal habit on coffee mornings. On 15th before the White House, I saw on a guy on an old Bridgestone with a carradice bag and over-wide SKS fenders. I could have sworn he would have been going to coffee club, but such was not the case. Perhaps I should have invited him.
Good crowd this morning and a very special guest, long-time friend of the blog, Kirstin, making her first coffee club appearance. Big round of applause. (I write this blog as if I'm hosting a game show. Who am I even asking to applaud?) A good time was had by all (I'm assuming), but unfortunately, it's not my job to stand around drinking coffee and make conversation about bicycles. I don't know if that's an actual job, but if there are any eccentric billionaires (or foolhardy millionaires or idiotic thousandaires) our there willing to pay me to do as much, please contact my agent/manager/pet, Ellie the Poodle. I'd also like to thank Roy for the strawberries.
It had just begun to spit a little rain when I left Swings. I think by 15th and P, it had mostly stopped. By the time I was on R, I think I was wholly dry. It wasn't much rain.
Sometimes I think about where I would pull over if I had to use a restroom during my commute. The answer is normally just work. I feel I might be oversharing, but this is of a practical concern and generally related to bike commuting. I don't know, it seems like a sensible thing to think about.
 I passed another bicyclist riding up Mass. I think the morning up Mass (missa est?) commute will become more popular for people come springtime and I fully expect to see more bicyclists. Since I didn't have anything else to think about, I decided that I would think about my bike commuting mantra and I've settled on two of them. The first one is this: I'm not special. That's not humility; it's reality. Everyone on a bike is just another schlub trying to get somewhere, no different from anyone else. I wish everyone (bicyclists, drivers, pedestrians, zookeepers, blimp captains) were a little more clear about this.It would help things.  My second mantra is Groove is in the heart, mostly because I want to see if someone from a Deee Lite fan site will leave a comment here, a la the Dean Cain people.
I'd like to thank that one driver who slowed down a little bit before passing me. Thanks.
Wishing everyone, in advance, a safe ride home. The only way you can "win" at bike commuting is by making it home safely, so take your time and take it easy, especially if the weather is crummy. I'm so paternalistic.

6 comments:

  1. Why, thank you! *blushes* I'm glad I finally made it to Friday Coffee Club and met you and the other #bikeDC folks. It was all that I hoped it would be. Though, I sense that hanging out with that crowd is a sure way to find myself coveting more bicycles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #FridayCoffeeClub definitely == coveting more bicycles.

      Delete
  2. Looks like the 70s got as far north as Stafford and Leonardtown, but not further north. I was skepticsl to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True fact: My first screen name on CompuServe was Lady Miss Kier. For the kids out there- CompuServe was what we had when Al Gore first invented the internet but before that guy that now owns the Caps invented AOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I probably should have started that with "long time reader, first time on blog commenter" because while I have commented on posts via the tweets I don't think I actually have via the blog.

      Delete
    2. Before CompuServe, there was Prodigy. And before Prodigy, there was the BBS (Bulletin Board System).

      Delete