7/2/12

Ride Home 7/2: The Sun Also Rises

To add some fun to your bike commute, I suggest whistling. You know how to whistle, don't you? And here's Lauren Bacall on a bike

Light out at Garfield and Massachusetts. It worked this morning. I think Pepco is regressing. In any case, it's a four way intersection that allegedly prohibits left turns in every direction and it would pretty pretty straightforward if everyone felt obliged to follow some of those suggestions and also takes turns, but once those lights go out, it's Lord of the Flies out there. I poked my bike into the intersection and tried to hit the gap behind the car crossing in front of me as quickly as I could before the driver behind him could go. This worked. And while I'm sort of amazed there haven't been more incidents, there's been at least one pedestrian fatality and that's an absolute tragedy. 

More trees down. The road was clear. This was on the sidewalk. 

Not supposed to be there. And I'm not just talking about my finger. 
Around Sheriden Circle and then I got the green to Q, but no matter what I do, I end up waiting at the red light at 20th. Since this happens every day, I've learned to be pretty ambivalent about it. Sometimes another bike commuter will come along and jaywheel across the intersection and then wait at the red light on Connecticut. I'd rather wait in the shade. There's a brass band that plays outside of the Dupont Metro. Unfortunately, no patriotic hits. 

Why do people drive in the bike lane? I ask this out of genuine curiosity. Is it from ignorance of there being a bike lane? Is it because they don't care? Is it because they're incapable of properly steering their cars? Are all bike lanes slightly magnetic underneath the asphalt, drawing cars to them? It's probably a combination of the first three. It's frustrating and I don't know if we can do anything about it other than build better bike lanes (that aren't just white stripes). I like the reaction of drivers when they finally see me in the rear view mirror. Some apologetically move over, recognizing their transgression. Others play it off like it's no big deal. I've never had anyone curse me out, but I've heard that sometimes happen. I just don't get it. 

There's only one place on my commute where I really rush to catch a light. It's between L Street and K Street on 11th. There's about 9 seconds between green on L and red on K and I can normally make it, unless drivers run the red on L or someone aims to make a left onto K and is half way through their turn by the time I get there but unable to complete it due to pedestrians crossing. I'm not sure that I should rush. While effective (in that it saves me a little bit of time), I'm not sure it's worth the anxiety. 

I'm thinking about getting a sleeve tattoo. It'll have french cuffs. 

There's a kind of fashion choice that some women make in summer time that I call scullery maid chic. It's a simple, flowing peasant skirt, a white tank top and a bandana as kerchief. It'd be bohemian if bohemians kept a clean house. 

I took Constitution up the hill. There's enough room for bikes in the parking lane, but not by very much. At the top of the hill, I saw two Capitol Hill Police officers on motorcycles. I resisted the urge to yell "CHiPs!" at them. 

I saw Suzie and Jordan (of Bicycle Space) heading down East Capitol. He might have recognized me and yelled "Hey!" and I wonder where they were going because I think Jordan was carrying a boom microphone. Maybe they were on their way to make a movie. Or maybe it's "Bike with Filmmaking equipment to work" day. I can hardly keep track of all the bike holidays. They were probably on their way to yoga. Bike-ram yoga?

Missed the turn at Kentucky and took 14th to the store, where I purchased a lovingly made sandwich and grenadine. I'm pretty sure those are both food groups. 

Not biking to work again until Thursday. Have an appropriate holiday. Please don't blow yourselves up. I can't spare the readers. XOXOXOXO

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand the whole driving in the bike lane thing either. Followed a woman for about a quarter mile down Clarendon Blvd last night, I guess she was looking for a parking spot...too afraid to pass her on my bike, was thinking she may not have been the sharpest tool in the shed. I called her a dingleberry as I rode by her, it was the biggest inslut I could muster at 6pm in 90 degree heat.

    ReplyDelete