2/4/13

No Rides 2/4

Took the day off of work. Should be back at it tomorrow. Work, that is. And the biking there.

I've been thinking for some time now about a format change for the blog. As much as I enjoy writing about the picayune details of my daily commutes to and fro, I'm beginning to wonder if there's anything there anymore. I mean, there are lots of things literally there- I notice them daily and they are remarkably consistent in their continued existence. Even the change remains the same. But, I've mined that vein for two years now and I'm wondering how much frisson/coal remains. It's gotten comfortable (unlike a coal mine, so I've read from DH Lawrence and such) and like a coal miner after yet another long shift, I think I need to stretch (and bathe).

Accordingly, I've been considering a sabbatical to give myself some time to ponder where I want to take thing (industrial England?) and how I plan to take you all with me (pedicab?) or lose you in a way that allows us to still be friends. Preferably, I don't want to go away for summer vacation and make new friends and have things be awkward when we come back for junior year, like in the setup to any movie about high school kids ever. So, if the posts become less frequent or start taking different formats or if there are fewer or more pictures of poodles (assume more), just know that I'm trying new things to see if anything sticks and consistently amuses me. As always, I welcome your feedback. The blog will still, most likely, be bikey and very DC focused, but beyond that, I'm not exactly sure where it'll end up. Maybe it'll end up, by noon tomorrow, being the same thing as it's been because I'll forget that I wrote this. That'd be hilarious.

6 comments:

  1. Hey-- you gotta do what you gotta do with the blog. I'm just glad there will still be poodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep it funny. Or I WILL demand my money back. I've saved receipts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That WOULD be hilarious. I hope you don't stop blogging entirely - call me crazy, but I really enjoy your observations and humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently started biking my commute (which also involves the northwesternly parts of the city) and I just wanted to let you know that I really love your blog. In addition to being a consistently funny read, I feel like I've learned a lot about bike etiquette and it has encouraged me to be more aware of what's going on around me and reflect on the decisions (good and bad) that I make while biking. I hope you'll keep blogging, in whatever format works for you. But I guess if you do need a sabbatical, I will have a couple years worth of archives to go through...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @oxie- thanks so much. I'll try to keep up the posting, but the back catalog certainly has some good stuff as well. Enjoy your rides! And don't become too self-conscious! I harp on a lot of the issues of etiquette because I am a paranoiac prig, but for the most part, I'm overreacting to very small stuff of little importance whatsoever. Just try to be a nice person and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been following for a while now and I do find myself checking in less frequently, so perhaps it's a good idea. I would be a bicycle commuter also but I work from home and I really hurt myself biking down my stairs. Just don't go away forever!

    ReplyDelete