3/11/14

Sports

I sometimes feel like the reaction to fair weather bike commuters is akin that of season ticket holders when the team makes the playoffs. "Where were you in April?," they ask, except in this case April is January. "That cap looks awfully new. Bet is still has the tag on it," they say except maybe it's a cycling jersey instead of a baseball cap or maybe I should've said "team jersey" as the example would have been better because of exact parallelism. "Ugh, you don't even know the players' names. You're just here for the excitement," they say as if being somewhere for the excitement is the worst thing ever. "It's not your thing. It's my thing. It's my thing because I've been here longer. I committed to this before I knew it would turn out great. I committed to this when the outcome was unsure. I staked a claim to this thing and I did it every day and I'm going to continue to do this every day because this is my thing and this is how I define myself and this is the defining thing I define myself by because I committed to it," they imply because everyone knows that there is a limited quantity of fandom molecules that exist in the world and each new bandwagoneer laps up those that should RIGHTFULLY belong to someone who purports (or purports to purport) to care much more than others, except not the others he accepts as caring as much as he does and who have sufficiently demonstrated their commitment to caring by maybe passing some kind of look-up-and-down or maybe because he knows them and he's seen them there or maybe because they say so and say so decisively.

Bike commuting modeshare in DC is 4%. There's plenty of room to grow. The stadium is not at capacity; it's barely been built. And you don't build a stadium for just the season ticket holders. Also, I don't know where luxury boxes fit into this analogy or how maybe referencing massive cable tv deals might help or hinder this metaphor. Professional sports are complicated. 

Happy spring. 

7 comments:

  1. You're making me feel mildly guilty for complaining about the fair weather bike commuters this morning. But one of them stole my bike cage! I've used that cage every work day of 2014 except when I CaBied here and today it was full. So I got here late because I went to meet the WABA trailer at 4th and I. My cage should still have been available. I had to use the crappy one with the building column in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't guilt feel guilty! Just get to work earlier tomorrow :-). The real problem, though, is the fact that there's only one good bike cage. What the hell is that about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noobie bike commuters are Christmas Eve Midnight Mass Catholics. They should be treated with scorn and derision!!! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that what St. Peter would say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The stadium is not at capacity; it's barely been built." Where is the stadium?! Take me to the stadium. More people on bikes = good thing, but it is a definite adjustment. Also, while bicyclists are 4% of modeshare, the spaces we have to ride are not always ideal. I look over at the 15th Street cycletrack sometimes and just wonder how that tiny space can comfortably manage growth. In my mind it isn't possible. We live in a city where we must share space, but really, some of the space cyclists must share is inadequate at best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of liken fair weather cyclists to circus acts. Some of them are getting used to bicycling on a moving bike again, as opposed to a stationary one, and have forgotten how to steer. Death-defying acts! Some of them are like lions out of a cage and are raring (roaring?) to go, and are oblivious to other cyclists around them. Some of them are midgets on training wheels-- oh wait, they're children.

    They're kind of amusing to watch, and I admit to being smug about biking year round, but I was one of them not too long ago, so I can relate. As long as they don't fight with me over bike rack space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Blog..Thanks for sharing it..
    bike parking

    ReplyDelete