7/7/16

I should write

I should write.

Has it been a year since I last did this regularly? Longer? I'd look, but the time really doesn't much matter. If it's been a year, it's been a long year. Things have been afoot and they're still afoot in ways. What's afoot exactly? It's the thing with the toes attached to your legs, but that's not important right now. Among other things to happened or are in the process of happening is the completion of another graduate degree (woo?) and the completion of living in the place that I've lived for 5 years. The latter is more relevant than the former (unless the former brings a new job/new workplace) so far as this blog, the blog that once detailed the details of my bike commute, since the details of that commute will change. For one thing, it will get shorter. For another, I'll no longer really be riding downtown. Or on the Mall. Or past the Capitol. In its place, you'll get AdMo. And maybe parts of Dupont. You'll still keep all the good upper NW flavor you've come to know and love, so brace for continued leafiness and/or Volvos. So that's something.

Other bike things of note over the past year is the departure of the Surly Cross Check and the addition of an All City Mr. Pink. I might write my own separate post on the Pink because maybe it deserves a sort of review (in so far as I'm capable to giving one) but I haven't really ridden the bike very much yet. I plan to. I plan to do it this summer or in what's left of this summer, at least. I bought the Pink on a little bit of a whim, as part graduation present to myself and as part of Cherry Blossom Madness, a real disease in the DSM V that afflicts people in these parts every April. Anyway, as part of the decision to get the new bike, which I love very much, I decided to get rid of the Cross Check, which I loved very much. The Cross Check was a great bike and my sort of default recommendation for anyone who asks me what kind of bike they should get. I'll miss it, but we had a good run. We did. It went to a good home. The Pink won't really be used for commuting, but the kind of weekend fun rides that people allegedly do. It's been some time since I've had weekends and I've never cared much for riding distances through nature, but I've definitely seen pictures on Instagram of people doing that and nothing on Instagram is an exaggeration or embellishment.

So that's pretty much it. I'll be fully settled in the new place soon and I'll probably recommence TFTS in the old format some time after that. As always, suggestions for improvement are welcome. For example, you could suggest that someone else write this blog, someone who's better at writing for example. Or you could suggest that TFTS is no longer about biking at all, but instead about ornithology or stained glass. Those would both be interesting topics and an interesting combination, though not for the bird. Sort of depends on how fast it's flying, I guess.

Oh also, somehow Gear Prudence is still going. Like what. Nearly 2 years of that. No, seriously, what. Please keep emailing questions. I know I've solved basically all (none) of your bike problems by now, but part of being a bicyclist, especially a bike commuter, is always coming up with new ones. Certainly if TFTS has had any through-line or any internally consistent message, it's that.

2 comments:

  1. I got excited this week when Trump said the he would make this country safe again. He also said that he'll be sure people follow the laws. So. Is Trump the Candidate for cyclists who want motorists to follow the laws?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got excited this week when Trump said the he would make this country safe again. He also said that he'll be sure people follow the laws. So. Is Trump the Candidate for cyclists who want motorists to follow the laws?

    ReplyDelete