12/6/11

Ride In 12/6

I'm going to spare you the details of today's ride in because those details were boring and I've forgotten most of them anyway. Maybe there was a guy? And he, like, did something? I don't know. Instead, what I'd like to alert you to the first annual Tales From The Sharrows button (and other stuff) charitable extravaganza! While I don't have the buttons yet, I'm going to begin taking per-orders (or just orders) now. Many, many thanks to Jon and his excellent (and very easy to use) book crowdfunding site, www.manfredmacx.com. This is the only book crowdfunding site that I will ever use and I mean that as an endorsement and not a threat.

So, I've priced the buttons at $5. This is, admittedly, a lot for a button. But keep in mind that I'm not doing this to become a button billionaire (not yet at least ). A fiver is relatively modest amount to give as a donation to a very worthwhile and hardworking organization. So, freel free think of it as an Abe Lincoln (Ay, Blinkin?) to WABA and a free button from me. For the cost of five dollars worth of quarters (or dimes), you'll pay for a button, shipping costs, and my labor (putting the button in the envelope, addressing the envelope and mailing it). I'll be sending out the buttons as soon as they arrive, so don't tarry! Or tarry, but only a little. For anyone who "buys" a ride and blog post, I'll be in touch via email to work out an acceptable schedule. I ask that you live within the DC metro area, which means that it's possible for me to bike to your home in, let's say, a couple of hours. If you live farther than that, you're gonna have to pony up for bus/dirigible fare. 
The site will allow you to pay with credit cards. If you would like/need to pay with cash, please email me at talesfromthesharrows@gmail.com and I'll send you an elaborate set of instructions on how we'll do the "exchange." It will involve costumes, newspapers with eye-hole cut-outs, jumping from moving trains and at least one blatant misquoting of a line from a Nic Cage action movie.
CAVEAT ON TAX IMPLICATIONS: If you itemize deductions, buying one of these buttons and having me give the money to WABA on your behalf is going to work as far as the IRS is concerned. So there's that. If you want to "buy" the blogging or the blogging + sandwich or the bound edition, you can always give the money directly to WABA and then present me some sort of receipt. I don't know how many of you out there are itemizers, but I just want to assure you that I deeply care about your Schedule A in ways that you can never know. Also, if you were planning on giving money to WABA anyway, I request that you don't "double dip" and use that donation as a means to get your ride blogged. Honor system and such.
I can't think of much else to say about this whole thing. If you have any questions, please let me know.


CLICK HERE TO LEARN ABOUT HOW TO BUY A BUTTON OR OTHER STUFF AND/OR ACTUALLY BUY A BUTTON OR THAT OTHER STUFF.


(For what it's worth, I'm sort of quite proud of my detailed descriptions of the 'products' on offer, so it would make me really happy if you read those, even if you're not interested)

4 comments:

  1. If anyone has any questions/comments/problems/whatever about using the site to order buttons and whatnot, please don't hesitate to contact us - help@manfredmacx.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't incur costs or spend time mailing my button, or probably many others. Just have office hours at a favorite bar and I'll stop in and pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take great joy in both helping WABA and forcing you to come back to Arlington to blog my boring-ass commute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @J.T: Done and done. Details soon.
    @ Chris S: Thank you so much! The ride will be epic! (maybe) Can't wait to get back into A-town, shred those streets and make the "blogging" happen. Send me an email at talesfromthesharrows@gmail.com and we'll set something up.

    ReplyDelete