7/14/11

Ride In 7/14

I'm going to try to keep this short. I took the Haul today and before I left, I pumped the tires. Before I got to work, I got a flat tire. What have I done to offend the god of air pressure? Luckily, a co-worker's spouse happened to be driving by and he took me and the bike to the office, less than a mile away. It's locked up the garage and it looks like I'll be taking Bikeshare home or as close to home as I can get before switching to the bus. Or walking. Probably walking, since I'll want to pick up a tube. First flat tire on this bike. I don't know if it's because I over-inflated or just hit something nasty, but either way, I'm miffed.
Prior to the flat, the ride was rather enjoyable. Temperate weather, but still summery. I left the house about 45 minutes earlier than normal and the roads seemed much more sedate. I might want to start leaving earlier more regularly, but this would require a whole host of lifestyle adjustments I'm not prepared to undertake. Is that an overly dramatic way of saying that I'll have to wake up slightly earlier? Yes.
A woman riding on Fairfax told me that I could pass her as we both waited at a red light. I demurred, quite happy to be riding at the pace I was. I guess it's polite to let someone know that he can pass you by if he so wishes, but on the other hand, I'd like to think (probably over-optimistically) that most bicyclists can pass one another in a non-offensive way and without being told that it's ok.
Bike lanes aren't the best place to stand and have conversations. Sometimes bicyclists will interrupt your conversations by riding in the bike lane. This shouldn't come as a shock.
Damn it. I'm still mad about that flat.
I rode Wisconsin again today. From M to Wisconsin, I typically avoid making the direct left turn and instead camp out in the crosswalk by the Serendipity 3 and wait for the Wisconsin green. This, I think, is much safer than trying to weave across the five/six travel lanes and the gabs of walkers.
I was shocked to discover that there's no bike parking in front of the Glover Park Whole Foods. For shame. I locked my bike to the one parking meeter and was complimented on my bike's foppishness by a passing pedestrian. He asked if the wooden rack was made of wood. It is.

No comments:

Post a Comment